This project addressed several environmental gaps identified during ownership transition at a facility that manufactures aviation ground equipment. The facility needed a spill control, prevention, and countermeasure (SPCC) plan, a stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWP3), and a different air permit. Potential gaps in environmental reports were also noted. Geosyntec was engaged to close the identified gaps and maintain environmental compliance.
Geosyntec’s Scope of Services
Geosyntec gathered information at the site and conducted the following services:
- Inventoried oil-storage capacity and identified existing secondary containment measures; presented options for additional containment and diversionary control for storage and transfer; established protocols for inspecting oil containers and training employees on oil handling; and developed an SPCC Plan.
- Identified potential stormwater contaminant sources and existing best management practices (BMPs) that minimize the likelihood of stormwater pollution; made recommendations for additional BMPs; identified training requirements; and developed the facility’s SWP3.
- Identified sources of air emissions; compared that information to the air permit and air emissions inventory reports for the facility; helped obtain an air permit that better suited the facility’s needs; and documented compliance with the new permit, including quantifying actual air emissions considering air pollution control devices in use.
- Evaluated the facility’s compliance with the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act requirements, including quantifying maximum on-site storage, identifying any extremely hazardous substances, and documenting that the facility was exempt from annual Tier II reporting; identified chemicals on the Toxic Release Inventory (TRI); quantified TRI-listed chemicals on-site; and showed that the facility was exempt from annual TRI reporting.
Geosyntec’s helped the client understand their environmental reporting obligations, maintain compliance, and meet regulatory timelines. After establishing applicability of each framework, we prepared environmental plans and reports or documented exempt status. We also recommended improvements to the facility’s environmental management and record-keeping practices and offered insight into trends and likely future obligations related to environmental permitting, reporting, and regulatory status.
- Location: Midwest US
- Client: Confidential
- Project Practice Areas: Environmental Management
- Services Provided: Air Permit and Emissions Compliance; SPCC Plan Development; SWP3 Development, Best Management Practices; Environmental Compliance Reporting and Training