Geosyntec was retained to provide due diligence consulting support as part of the acquisition of a seed treatment product portfolio for a European agricultural chemical producer. We needed to evaluate product content, use, toxicity characteristics, markets for sale and applicable regulations. Based on the review, specific regulatory compliant label content needed to be developed for all appropriate jurisdictions and compared to existing content and marketing support materials to determine gaps, regulatory risks, and associated compliance costs.
Geosyntec's Scope of Services
Geosyntec reviewed and provided advice on regulatory requirements for agricultural seed treatment product labels for use in both the United States and Canada as part of a product acquisition program. Existing labels and regulatory profiles for the products were not available for review. To identify applicable regulatory programs, requirements and potential related risks and costs, Geosyntec executed the following due diligence program:
- Reviewed product chemistry and use/market information
- Identified applicable regulatory jurisdictions, programs and safety standards
- Developed a United States-specific regulatory profile and label content guide per the Federal Seed Act (FSA) Regulations under the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), including guidelines for potential applicability of Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) under the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) should pesticidal claims be considered
- Developed a Canada-specific regulatory determination and label content guide per the Fertilizers Regulation under the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulated labeling of fertilizers and supplements in Canada
- Detailed hazardous chemical labeling requirements for commercial and workplace products per Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) in the United States and Canadian Hazardous Products Regulations (HPR) in Canada
Geosyntec provided a timely compilation of technical and regulatory information for multiple jurisdictions so that the client could evaluate risk and costs in acquiring the product line. The results of Geosyntec’s work also served the dual purpose of being a basis for market positioning of the products and regulatory compliance planning.
- Location: Canada and the United States
- Client: Confidential Client
- Project Practice Areas: Environmental Management
- Services Provided: Toxicology and Regulatory Subject Matter Expertise; FIFRA; Chemicals Management and Reporting; Product Safety Assessment; Regulatory Compliance
- Type of Work: Product Safety; Due Diligence
- Governing Regulation: Canadian and United States federal