ATM, a Geosyntec company, successfully prepared an appeal of the preliminary FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) that resulted in moving a portion of the primary frontal dune out of the VE Zone.
We reassessed the landward location of the VE zone determined by FEMA on the revised Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM). Marineland Dolphin Adventure is located behind a granite revetment designed for a 30-year storm event and the landward extent of the VE zone was based on the assumption of the existence of primary frontal dune (PFD) at this site. To assess the potential for moving the VE line west and account for protection afforded by the revetment, we initiated a preliminary study that required review of the following:
We determined there were potential items of appeal that would support a request to relocate the VE zone boundary. As part of the successful appeal package submitted to FEMA, we provided the following services:
Quick QualNo pages found in your document. What is a Quick Qual?
- Location: St. Johns County, FL
- Client: Georgia Aquarium (owner of Marineland Dolphin Adventure)
- Project Practice Areas: Coastal & Waterfront
- Type of Facility: aquarium
- Services Provided: data review and collection; revetment failure and runup analysis; mapping; submission of appeal package
- Type of Work: flood map appeal