ATM, a Geosyntec company, developed marina plans and innovative mangrove design concepts for a new resort along the North Sound of Grand Cayman.
We were originally engaged to provide marina expertise associated with the development of the subject property along the North Sound. As part of the effort, we uncovered a new value proposition for the site: a damaged mangrove buffer could be improved into a resort amenity and incorporated into a coastal protection scheme. We worked with resort planners to develop the marina plans and innovative mangrove design concepts.
We prepared an environmental restoration plan, including detailed analysis of grading plans, reconstruction of suitable ground elevations for mangrove development, selected reconfiguration of rock berm structure to restore hydraulic flows, and design of canals that could be used as kayak trails. The environmental restoration design also incorporated amenities such as boardwalks, decks, kayak docks, a bird observation tower, and the upland location of the interpretation center.
- Location: Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Client: Lowe Destination Development and Five Mile Capital
- Project Practice Areas: Coastal & Waterfront
- Type of Facility: marina, adjacent mangrove forest and coastline
- Services Provided: Coastal resilience strategy; site assessment; concept planning of marina and coastal features; field work for mangrove ecological assessment; mangrove restoration design
- Type of Work: ecological restoration, concept planning