Worker safety assessment and preparation of a Soil Management Plan (SMP) for the excavation, management, and disposal of solid waste materials encountered at transmission rebuild pole locations within transmission line corridors located in the footprint of an old closed landfill: Gateway Landfill, 118th and 126th Avenue North in Clearwater, Florida.
The SMP addressed the general requirements for the excavation and disposal of solid waste in accordance with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) guidance document entitled “Guidance for the Disturbance and Use of Old Closed Landfills or Waste Disposal Areas in Florida.”
Geosyntec’s Scope of Services
Geosyntec was retained by Duke Energy to prepare the SMP and to evaluate potential soil and groundwater impacts related to historical landfill operations at the transmission pole locations in the transmission corridors, and the potential concerns these construction activities may pose to Site workers. Geosyntec’s services included the following:
- Collection of soil and groundwater samples for laboratory testing to evaluate potential worker exposure from contaminants during disturbance of solid waste at the pole locations, and waste characterization for disposal
- Preparation of a site investigation report documenting the soil and groundwater sample results for the basis of development of the SMP;
- FDEP correspondence and negotiation for approval of the SMP;
- Environmental oversight of excavated materials to assess the potential for hazardous waste;
- Air monitoring at the transmission pole locations during installation to reduce potential for worker exposure to landfill gases and creation of explosive atmospheres; and
- Subcontractor procurement, coordination, and manifest tracking for disposal of soil cuttings generated from pole installation.
Locations of potential worker exposure concern were identified, and safety protocols were developed to lower worker risk. The SMP was approved by FDEP, and no health and safety or contaminant release incidents occurred during pole installations. All soils were taken off-site for proper disposal, and the project was completed under the allotted budget.
Quick QualNo pages found in your document. What is a Quick Qual?
- Location: Florida
- Client: Duke Energy Florida
- Project Practice Areas: Environmental Management, Geotechnical, Air Quality, Water and Natural Resources
- Type of Facility: Transmission corridors
- Services Provided: Site Assessment, Health and Safety Evaluation and Oversight, Soil Management Plan Preparation, Environmental Oversight, Air Monitoring, Waste Hauling Procurement and Manifest Tracking
- Type of Work: Soil management planning
- Governing Regulation: Federal and state