Geosyntec Announces Winners of 2020 Student Paper Contest
Geosyntec is pleased to announce and congratulate the winners of our Eleventh Annual Student Paper Contest for 2020.
We are proud to continue our support of top students across the United States through our paper competition, and we send our sincere thanks to all participants. The quality of papers received was extremely high and only the narrowest of margins separated the top papers. It really was a difficult decision picking the winners. As always, we also greatly appreciate the support and encouragement from the professors who help us reach out to these top students each year.
The winner of the 2020 Geosyntec Student Paper Competition is Aide Robles (Arizona State University, Advisor: Dr. Anca G. Delgado) for the paper titled "Microbial Chain Elongation Drives Complete Reductive Dechlorination of Trichloroethene." Aide receives a cash prize of $1,000 USD.
The two second place prizes of $500 each are awarded to:
- Jiahao Wang (University of Western Ontario, Advisors: Dr. Jason I. Gerhard and Dr. Gavin P. Grant) for "The Influence of Porous Media Heterogeneity on Smouldering Remediation", and
- Lauren Turner (Queen's University, Advisors: Dr. Bernard H. Kueper and Dr. Kela P. Weber) for "Destruction of Per-and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) via Ball Milling."
Congratulations, Jiahao and Lauren!
The three third-place prizes of $300 each are awarded to:
- Zekun Liu (University of California, Riverside, Advisor: Dr. Jinyong Liu) for "Near-Complete Defluorination of Perfluorinated and Fluorotelomeric Carboxylic Acids with Integrated Oxidation and Reduction Processes",
- Jason Hnatko (Tufts University, Advisors: Dr. Natalie Cápiro and Dr. Kurt Pennell) for "Impact of Perfluorinated Alkyl Substances on Dehalococcoides mccartyi Strains", and
- Uriel Garza-Rubalcava (Texas Tech University, Advisors: Dr. Danny D. Reible and Dr. William A. Jackson) for "Use of a Passive Sampling Tool to Characterize Sediment Pore Water and Surface Water in Contaminated Sites."
Congratulations, Zekun, Jason, and Uriel!