The (AASHTO Manual) was published by the American Association of State Highways Transportation Officials (AASHTO) in 1988 and since that time has been the "go-to" reference guide regarding the standard of practice for subsurface investigations, particularly those investigations focused on the transportation community.
Over the past 30 years, subsurface geotechnical conditions may not have changed dramatically, but the techniques used by transportation agencies and their consultants for geotechnical investigation and interpretation have advanced significantly, due to improvements and reliance upon technology advancements. A similar recognition was made by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) with regard to its 2002 edition of Geotechnical Engineering Circular (GEC) No. 5 regarding soil and rock properties. Geosyntec Consultants (Geosyntec) was commissioned by the National Academies to prepare the revised AASHTO Manual and authored to original GEC#5. Updates to these seminal reference documents will be highlighted and discussed during the presentation.
- Geosyntec Authors: Robert Bachus
- All Authors: Robert Bachus
- Title: The Second Geotechnical Engineering Distinguished Seminar Series at the University of Nevada, Reno
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Geotechnical and Geological Analysis, Modeling, and Engineering
- Citation: Robert Bachus, Ph.D., P.E. (Georgia) will present "Standard of Practice Update AASHTO Subsurface Characterization Geotechnical Engineering Circular #5" at the Second Geotechnical Engineering Distinguished Seminar Series at the University of Nevada, Reno from 12:00-12:50 p.m. PDT on September 18, 2020.
- Date: September 18, 2020
- Location: Virtual
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation