Internal erosion is considered to be one of the leading causes of dam failures worldwide.
This is particularly true for dams constructed over complicated geology (i.e., karst), such as those located throughout the southeastern United States. Geosyntec Consultants is one of several key players in an ongoing internal erosion remediation project at a major dam. The project is one of the largest of its kind in the United States and construction is ongoing. This presentation will discuss the following: (i) the dam's construction history to highlight internal erosion vulnerabilities, (ii) the observations which initiated the remediation project, (iii) a technical discussion of the remediation project including the general construction sequence, and (iv) an overview of Geosyntec's role in the project.
- Geosyntec Authors: Melissa Setz
- All Authors: Melissa Setz
- Title: The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Geo-Institute's Virtual Technical (V-Tech) Global Engineering Conference
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Levees, Dams, and Subsurface Hydraulic Barriers
- Citation: Melissa Setz (Georgia) will present on "Internal Erosion Remediation and Dam Safety" at the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Geo-Institute's Virtual Technical (V-Tech) Global Engineering Conference on September 17, 2020.
- Date: September 17, 2020
- Location: Virtual Conference
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation