The acceleration of local policy, shareholder resolutions, technology advances, low carbon and renewable energy standards and tax incentives, favorable economics, and corporate interest in "going green' is fueling business interest in establishing carbon reduction targets and energy transition.
Businesses are challenged to consider rapid changes in complex and urgent environmental, natural resources and infrastructure issues that affect their current operations as well as future plans. Many are looking at carbon reduction strategies to manage their risk, improve their carbon footprint and capitalize on opportunities that are emerging from a changing energy supply mix and pricing, new technologies and new incentives. This session will cover some of the most effective types of carbon reduction opportunities including: energy efficiency improvements, fuel switching, renewable energy, efficient use and recycle of materials, carbon capture and storage, and investment in carbon sequestration or natural resource solutions with examples of how these approaches have benefited the businesses of energy consumers, producers and distributors.
This session will also provide an overview of how an integrated energy strategy can help in a transition to lower carbon or "net zero' commitments. Starting with the importance of Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emission accounting, making effective targets and implementing informed changes to business practices, design, equipment, energy, fuel, and material supplies that have resulted in progress to these targets.
- Geosyntec Authors: Lynn McGuire, Hong Jin, Barbara Neary
- All Authors: Lynn McGuire, Hong Jin, Barbara Neary
- Title: ACE 2020 Gateway to Innovation Virtual Conference, Air & Waste Management Association's (A&WMA) 113th Annual Conference and Exhibition
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Energy Transition and Carbon Reduction
- Citation: Lynn McGuire, P.E. (California) and Andrea Siefers, P.E. (North Carolina) will present in the ACE 2020 Gateway to Innovation Virtual Conference, Air & Waste Management Association's (A&WMA) 113th Annual Conference and Exhibition on June 30, 2020.
- Date: June 30, 2020
- Location: Virtual Conference
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation