This is a case study of environmental compliance and permitting strategies to support renewable natural gas production at River Birch Landfill (RBL), a privately-owned municipal solid waste landfill located in Avondale, Louisiana.
River Birch, LLC is an industry leader and operates a high-Btu landfill gas (LFG) treatment plant at RBL with the third largest supply of renewable natural gas (RNG) from LFG in the U.S. market. RBL has been in operation since 1999 and the LFG treatment plant has been upgraded several times since it was first constructed in 2009, including an expansion occurring in 2019-2020 to accommodate the treatment of LFG from a neighboring landfill. Pipeline grade LFG is transported from RBL to a compressor station and then to California for sale.
Topics discussed will be an overview of operations, innovative initiatives, environmental program management across eight regulating agencies, air permitting and compliance, the collaborative relationship between the Operations and Environmental departments, challenges and lessons learned, and a look towards the future of RNG production from RBL and the landfill sector. River Birch's environmental compliance program is led by Mr. Chris Casteix, who will offer a Young Professional's perspective regarding environmental compliance program management. RBL is a model of how coordinated environmental oversight can support and enhance gas production operations. Working together, the Environmental and Operations departments continue to improve gas collection and minimize fugitive emissions
- Geosyntec Authors: Andrea Seifers
- All Authors: Andrea Seifers, Geosyntec Consultants; Christopher Casteix, River Birch, LLC
- Title: ACE 2020 Gateway to Innovation Virtual Conference, Air & Waste Management Association's (A&WMA) 113th Annual Conference and Exhibition
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Landfill Gas Collection and Management Systems
- Citation: Lynn McGuire, P.E. (California) and Andrea Siefers, P.E. (North Carolina) will present in the ACE 2020 Gateway to Innovation Virtual Conference, Air & Waste Management Association's (A&WMA) 113th Annual Conference and Exhibition on June 30, 2020.
- Date: June 30, 2020
- Location: Virtual Conference
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation