Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), including perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), are a class of man-made chemicals.
Due to the strength of their carbonfluorine bonds, PFAS are persistent in the environment and difficult to remediate, and PFAS exposures and risks can result in regulatory concerns and active management at contaminated sites and in surrounding areas. The potential presence of PFAS at brownfield sites has technical, legal, and business risk implications for site redevelopment. There remain many uncertainties associated with characterization, health risks, viability and cost to remediate, future regulations, and potential for reopeners. This presentation will provide an overview of PFAS sources, chemistry, environmental fate and transport, exposure pathways and toxicology. The presenters will discuss the occurrence of PFAS in drinking water sources in the U.S. together with regulatory responses at the federal and state levels. This presentation will focus on providing a synthesis of the state of knowledge regarding the characterization of PFAS-impacted sites with a case study from a large federal facility in Florida detailing lessons learned and best practices. Implications for due diligence regarding potential PFAS presence on brownfield sites will also be addressed. A legal perspective will be provided, including emerging regulations, litigation cases, insurability, and financial disclosure.
- Geosyntec Authors: Lydia Dorrance, Eric Sager
- All Authors: Lydia Dorrance, Eric Sager, Geosyntec; Lisa Duchene, The Goldstein Environmental Law Firm
- Title: 2019 Southeast Brownfields Conference
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Brownfield Redevelopment Planning and Design
- Citation: David Latham, PG, Eric Sager, P.G. (Florida), Lydia Dorrance, Ph.D. (California), and Helen Dawson, Ph.D. (Washington D.C.), are presenting on multiple topics at the 2019 Southeast Brownfields Conference at the DoubleTree Universal Orlando in Orlando, Florida on October 27-30, 2019.
- Date: October 27-30, 2019
- Location: Orlando, Florida
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation