Contaminated sediment remediation projects, and particularly "megasite" projects, conducted under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) are complex, largely because they have many uncertainties.
Prompt realization and acceptance of these uncertainties during the strategic development of project scope and objectives can limit their impact. A strategy that accounts for uncertainty needs to be continually reviewed, updated and communicated not only within the project team but to all stakeholders with a vested interest in the cleanup. A panel of speakers at the closing session of the 2017 international contaminated sediment remediation conference recommended that decision-makers, Potentially Responsible Parties (PRPs), and stakeholders collaborate, prioritize and plan for the realities associated with contaminated sediment projects; unequivocally stating that "There will be uncertainties, controversy, costs and dysfunction; so plan for it" (Battelle, 2017). This paper discusses how the development of comprehensive strategic approach with iterative updates can lessen the technical, cost and regulatory barriers to successful project execution by reducing uncertainties. The strategic approach includes four elements: apply proven technologies, communicate proactively, perform targeted site characterizations, and utilize cost-effectiveness tools.
For more information regarding the network, visit: ABA 46th Spring Conference
For more information regarding Legal Counsel, visit: https://www.geosyntec.com/markets/legal-counsel
- Geosyntec Authors: Howard L. Cumberland, Anne Fitzpatrick, Amanda Hughes
- All Authors: Howard L. Cumberland, Anne Fitzpatrick, Amanda Hughes
- Title: Strategic Approach for Successful Project Execution of Contaminated Sediment Projects
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Environmental Management, Water and Natural Resources, Water Management
- Citation: Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles, California on March 29-31, 2017
- Date: 2017
- Location: Los Angeles, California