The inelastic response of shallow and raft foundations is significantly complex due to the behavior of the surrounding semi-infinite soil media.
The Winkler approach models the soil as a single layer, and assumes that the foundation reaction at a particular point is proportional to the soil displacement. In reality, the soil is a semi-infinite medium that can not be modeled as a single layer. In this paper a new finite element formulation was developed in which the soil can be viewed as a semi-infinite inelastic element that can resist bending, in addition to the well-known Winkler effect. Parametric analyses of an inelastic reinforced concrete foundation element is presented. Read More: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0093641309001517
- Geosyntec Authors: Ravi Mullapudi
- All Authors: Ashraf Ayoub, Ravi Mullapudi
- Title: Inelastic Analysis of Semi-Infinite Foundation Elements
- Event or Publication: Mechanics Research Communications
- Practice Areas: Structural Evaluation or Assessment
- Date: 2009