Zahra Amini, Ph.D., (Georgia) was appointed to the United States Society on Dams (USSD) Earthquakes Committee during the USSD annual meeting earlier this month in Miami.
Zahra will serve a three-year term (2018-2021) that is renewable. As the Young Professional (YP) Vice Chair, she will assist the Chair of the committee with:
- Collection of information on earthquake instrumentation, recorded data and performance of dams during earthquakes
- Evaluation and development of guides for modern methods of design of dams to withstand earthquakes
- Identification of needs for new knowledge and research on designing and analyzing dams
- Support for the International Committee on Large Dams (ICOLD) on seismic design of dams
- Publication of reports and white papers, and articles
- Organization and execution of periodic workshops
- Development and promotion of education and training activities
A Project Engineer, Zahra joined Geosyntec in 2013. Before Geosyntec, she worked with URS Corporation (AECOM), Vector Engineering, and as a research assistant at University of Utah. Zahra specializes in geotechnical engineering performing seismic hazard assessment and numerical modeling. She earned her Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Utah in 2013 and is affiliated with American Society of Civil Engineering, and Earthquake Engineering Research Institute. Zahra is a licensed engineer in the state of California.
The United States Society on Dams (USSD) is a world class organization of engineering professionals dedicated to advancing the environmentally sustainable science of planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of dams, levees and associated civil engineering projects. USSD is the premier source for technical information about dams and levee systems to help educate the general public, the media, government and policy-makers and others in the engineering practice. USSD is the United States member of the International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD).
For more information regarding the committee, visit: https://www.ussdams.org/about/ussd-committees/.
To learn more about Zahra: https://www.linkedin.com/in/zamini/.