Geosyntec works with power plants that are upgrading emission controls with flue-gas desulfurization systems, developing storage and disposal alternatives for residuals.
Helping clients manage their obligations under CWA Section 316 is one of the specialized compliance services Geosyntec provides to electric utilities.
Power Industry clients rely on Geosyntec for environmental, geotechnical, water resources, and structural engineering, consulting, design, and regulatory compliance services. We provide these services for hydro, fossil fuel, nuclear, and renewable energy generating and transmission facilities in the United States.
Geosyntec has performed a wide range of geotechnical engineering services including transmission and substation foundation design, annual dam inspections, seepage and stability reviews as part of ash stack retrofits, and geotechnical subsurface investigations to U.S. Department of Energy NQA-1 standards. Our professionals have significant experience in the design and permitting of coal combustion product (CCP) disposal facilities, including creative design approaches to expand and maximize storage capacity at existing CCP facilities. Geosyntec is active in the beneficial reuse of CCP in construction and in the reuse of closed CCP disposal facilities as parks and recreational areas.
The accident at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant prompted the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to develop criteria for reactor licensees to re-evaluate hazards at their sites. Our capabilities in nuclear plant seismic and man-made hazard evaluation and flooding analysis enable our clients to provide stakeholders with assurance of safe and continued operations during extreme events.
Geosyntec staff have developed investigative strategies and directed studies involving radionuclide releases at nuclear plant sites, particularly those with complex hydrogeologic and infrastructure characteristics. We conduct site remediation at power plants, manufactured gas plants, and other legacy sites, often using innovative approaches to achieve cleanup objectives for site restoration. We routinely conduct groundwater sampling/monitoring at fossil fuel facilities to support these endeavors.
Geosyntec has direct, recent experienced conducting environmental assessments and developing permit packages for new environmental control facilities. We have engineered and implemented innovative, practical approaches to address thermal discharges and achieve impingement/entrainment performance standards.
Water & Wastewater Services
- Steam electric effluent limitation guidelines (ELG) strategies
- Water footprinting/waste stream characterization
- Wastewater management/optimization
Coal Combustion Residuals and By-products Services
- Ash landfill design and permitting
- FGD waste reuse and disposal
- Coal ash dike and dam geotechnical inspections, monitoring, and rehabilitation
- Ash pond closure design
- Structural reliability assessment of existing dams and CCB pond embankments
- Groundwater monitoring, assessment, and remediation of heavy metals
Air Quality Services
- Air quality permitting and compliance
- Air pollution control technology services
- Emission measurement services
Closure/Decommissioning and Site Restoration Services
- CCB disposal facility closure and reuse
- Plant plant/unit demolition, decommissioning, and site restoration
- Alabama Power Company
- Allegheny Energy
- American Electric Power
- Duke Energy
- Electric Power Research Institute
- E.ON U.S. Services, Inc.
- First Energy
- Framatome ANP
- Georgia Power Company
- Jacksonville Electric Authority
- Progress Energy
- San Diego Gas & Electric
- Santee Cooper Power Authority
- South Carolina Electric & Gas
- Southern California Edison
- Tampa Electric Company
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- We Energies